Subscribe To RSS
Opinion
Videos
Advert Rates
Contact Us
Show Menu
Home
Headline News
Economy
Politics
Energy
Foreign
Sport
Entertainment
Interview
Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan‘s trial
November 24
16:08
2025
by The Ajasa News
Print This Article
The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, adjourned the trial of Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan for alleged cybercrime until Feb. 4, 2026.
The matter, which was fixed for today by Justice Mohammed Umar, could not proceed due to the judge’s absence.
The case was, however, fixed for Feb. 4, 2025 for commencement of trial
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the matter also, on Oct. 21, did not hold due to the protest organised by Mr Omoyele Sowore to demand the release of Nnamdi Kanu, who was recently convicted on terrorism offences.
Justice Umar had, on Sept. 22, fixed Oct. 21 for the hearing after the trial was stalled owing to an objection raised by the defendant.
Akpoti-Uduaghan was arraigned on June 30 on a six-count charge filed by the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation (DPPF), Mohammed Abubakar.
She was granted bail, following which Justice Umar adjourned till Sept. 22 for the commencement of trial.
However on the last adjourned date when the prosecuting lawyer, David Kaswe, was about to open his case by calling the 1st witness, the defence lawyer raised an objection.
The development was after a television screen had been mounted in the courtroom preparatory to the commencement of proceedings.
The defence lawyer, Ehiogie West-Idahosa, SAN, had expressed concern about the possibility of the prosecution opening its case.
West-Idahosa told the court that a notice of preliminary objection to challenge the court’s jurisdiction to hear the case had already been filed.
He said the objection is not to the nature of the charge, but the alleged abuse of the prosecutorial powers of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF).
The lawyer also complained about not being served with copies of the statements of the prosecution witnesses.
Although Kaswe argued that the objection filed by the defendant should not be allowed to stall the court’s business for the day, Justice Umar insisted that the prosecution must first respond to the objection.
The judge said he intended to first determine the objection raised by the defence before taking any further steps in the case.
Akpoti-Uduaghan, in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/195/2025, is alleged to have transmitted false and injurious information via electronic means with the intention to malign, incite and endanger lives and breach public order.
The senator was alleged to have, while addressing a gathering on April 4 in Ihima, Kogi, accused the Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio, of instructing ex-Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi to have her killed in the state.
She was also alleged to have, in a television interview, repeated similar claims, to the effect that the Senate president and former governor plotted to kill her in Kogi.
The charge is brought under the Cybercrimes Prohibition, Prevention, etc (Amendment) Act 2024.
Article "tagged" as:
Federal High Court
Godswill Akpabio stadium
Nigerian Senate
Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan
Categories:
Headline News
view more articles
About Article Author
The Ajasa News
View More Articles
view more articles
Related Articles
TIME TO ACT IS NOW BY NYO DEPUTY PRESIDENT, AMB. OGUNSOLA ELIZABETH OLUWATOYIN
National Human Right Commission set to tackle cases of extra judicial killings in Nigeria
Ortom thanks Buhari over appointment of Mary Ada Ogbe as Federal Permanent Secretary
write a comment
0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be the one to
start a conversation
.
Add a Comment
Click here to cancel reply.
Comment:
*
Nickname
*
E-mail
*
Website
Close Window
Loading, Please Wait!
This may take a second or two.
Translate »